July 26, 2017


The Register of Deeds office acts as a record keeping office only. North Carolina General Statutes specifically prohibit the Register of Deeds or their staff from practicing law. We are unable to supply legal forms, provide instructions on drafting or completing forms, or answer questions regarding the legal consequences of instruments filed. We advise you to consult an attorney if you have any legal questions.


























What are your address and hours of operation?  The Macon County Register of Deeds is located at 5 West Main St., Franklin, NC 28734. Our hours of operation are 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, except for observed county holidays.


Can anyone access information recorded in the Register of Deeds office?  Yes, most records filed in the Register of Deeds office are public records and available to anyone. The only records with restricted access are military discharges due to the sensitive nature of these documents.


Who can obtain a certified copy of a birth, death, or marriage certificate?  Since all documents filed in the Register of Deeds office are public record, anyone may view or obtain a copy of these records. However, only the individual, their immediate family member, an authorized agent, or legal representative may obtain a certified copy of a vital record. These documents can be purchased in person, online, or through the mail. For more information, please visit our Vital Records page or call (828) 349-2097.


How can I obtain my birth or marriage certificate needed to get a Voter ID?  As of January 1, 2014, citizens in North Carolina who wish to vote but do not have a photo ID can visit the Register of Deeds office to acquire a free birth or marriage certificate if needed to obtain a state-issued ID for voting purposes. When you come, you must bring at least two of the following documents for verification: income tax return or W-2 form, car registration or title, utility bill, bank statement, government check, pay check stub, government document, state-issued concealed weapon permit, prison identification card, college or school identification, college or school transcript, or North Carolina voter identification card. If you have further questions about this process, please call (828) 250-4300. For more information about the Voter Information Verification Act, please visit the NC Board of Elections website.


Can I obtain information about my divorce in your office?  No, divorces are court related matters and are therefore kept by the Macon County Clerk of Court. Please find information pertaining to the Clerk of Court by calling (828)349-7200.


Can I record a Will or obtain information about Estates & Probate in your office?  No, these records are court related matters and are therefore kept by the Macon County Clerk of Court. Please find information pertaining to the Clerk of Court by calling (828)349-7200.


Can your records be accessed online?  Public access via the internet to our Real Estate records can be found by using our online Search Deeds link. Access to these public records is also available in person at the Register of Deeds Office in the Deed vault from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.


Why can’t I view images on your online document search?  If you are having difficulty viewing images, you may need to update to a modern browser like Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. Internet Explorer 9 and 10 should work fine as well. You may click on the links above to download Chrome/Mozilla for free. For further questions, please call (828) 349-2097.


Can I get a business license in your office?  The Register of Deeds office records Certificates of Assumed Name (DBAs) but not business licenses. For a business within the town of Franklin, you may need to obtain a business license (Privilege License) from the town of Franklin’s town hall. Please find more information online or by calling (828) 524-2516. If you have additional questions about starting a business in Macon County, we encourage you to visit Business Link North Carolina for more information.





Once I have a marriage license, who can I contact to be married in a civil ceremony?  Once you obtain a marriage license, marriages can be performed by a civil magistrate on the 3rd floor of the Macon County Courthouse. The magistrate is generally available to perform marriages on weekdays between 11:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. However, this is not always the case, so it is advisable to contact the magistrate’s office before arriving to ensure that he will be available. Their fee is $20, payable in cash only. For more information, please contact the magistrate’s office at (828) 349-7219.


How do I change my name after marriage?  First, please obtain a certified copy of your marriage license from the Register of Deeds Office. You must then present this document along with other required documentation to the Social Security Administration. Once you have applied for a social security card in your new name, you may visit the Department of Motor Vehicles to update your driver license.

Social Security Administration

800 Centre Park Drive
Franklin, NC 28734

DMV — Driver License Office

16 Patton Avenue
Franklin, NC 28734
(828) 524-3592


How can a name be legally changed for reasons other than marriage?  A legal name change is done through a Court Order which must be obtained through the Clerk of Court’s office, Special Proceedings Division. Please find information pertaining to the Clerk of Court by calling 828-349-7200.





How do I add/remove/change a name on my deed?  You will need a new deed to be drawn up and filed. Filing standards can be found on our Recording Standards page. It is recommended that you consult an attorney when preparing legal documents.


I paid off my house; where is my deed?  While many people believe that you receive your deed once your mortgage is paid off, you actually should have received your deed at the time you closed on your home or property. When you have paid off your mortgage, your lender will send us a document called a “Certificate of Satisfaction” to be recorded. Typically lenders request that we send this Satisfaction document back to them after recording.If you would like a copy of your deed or satisfaction, please use our online Search Deeds link or submit to our office a Real Estate Records Request Form.


How do I check for outstanding liens and judgements that have been filed against a property?  The Register of Deeds is prohibited by law to perform a title search. If you wish to see if there are liens on a property, we encourage you to seek the advice of an attorney. You may also contact the Macon County Clerk of Court at 828-349-7200 for judgment information.


How do I find out the ownership of a property by address?  The records in the Register of Deeds office are searchable by name only. If you would like to find ownership information by property address, please refer to the Tax Record Search or our GIS/Mapping Search online or by calling 828-349-2144 (Tax) or 828-349-2088 (GIS/Mapping).





Does your office accept Electronic Recordings?  Yes, All documents excluding Plats.


What are your recording fees?  Please see Schedule of Fees for a complete fee schedule.


How do I record a Certificate of Assumed Name / Fictitious Name / DBA form?  Please see Assumed Name (DBA) page for forms and filing information.