Click here to be directed to the marriage application if you wish to complete before coming to the office. Each applicant will need to complete the form.
- Marriage Licenses are issued by appointment Monday through Friday, with the exceptions of holidays, at the Macon County Register of Deeds office at 5 West Main Street.
- To obtain a license, both parties must be present with a valid photo ID and Social Security Card.
- The license is valid for 60 days from the date of issue and can be used for marriage in any of the 100 North Carolina counties.
- The fee for the Marriage License is $60.00, payable by CASH/CHECK/MONEY ORDER.
- Once the ceremony has been performed, the completed license must be returned to the originating Register of Deeds office within 10 days. A certificate of Marriage can then be issued to you.
- If you’ve never been issued a Social Security number or are not eligible for one, the Register of Deeds will provide you with an affidavit that will be signed and notarized in the office.
- If you have lost your Social Security Card, you may provide one of the following in lieu thereof:
- A current year’s W-2 Form containing the full 9 digit Social Security number
- A current month’s paycheck stub containing the full 9 digit Social Security number
- Military Discharge containing the full 9 digit Social Security number
- Applicants ages 16-17 must submit a certified copy of their birth certificate, a Social Security card and at least one parent or legal guardian with full or joint custody, who has proper identification, and who will give their written consent.
- Applicants 14-15 must provide a certified copy of a Court Order authorizing the Marriage as well as a certified birth certificate and a Social Security card (along with one parent or legal guardian with full or joint custody, who has proper identification and who will give their written consent.)
- If you have any other questions or concerns with North Carolina Marriages, please click here to be directed to the North Carolina General Assembly site provided by the State of North Carolina.
- Macon County, NC recognizes gender neutral marriages.
Each certified copy costs $10.00, non-certified copies (photocopies) cost 0.25¢ each. A stamped, self-addressed envelope can help ensure faster return.
Online Record Purchase
To Purchase a record online with a credit card, please go to our Online Vital Record Request .
Request Record By Mail
To request a Marriage certificate by mail, please complete the following Marriage Record Request Form & forward w/ payment (cash/check/money order) to the Register of Deeds office.
Please make all check and money orders payable to the Register of Deeds.
Macon County Register of Deeds
5 West Main Street
Franklin, NC 28734