Instructions for Filing Certificate of Assumed Name
Any sole proprietorship, general partnership, limited partnership, corporation, or LLC engaged in business in any county in the state under an assumed name other than the real name of the owner (or owners) must file an assumed name certificate or ‘doing business as’ (DBA) in the Register of Deeds Office in the county or counties in which it is doing business.
Before filing the assumed name certificate or DBA in Macon County it is recommended that you perform a name search to determine if the proposed business name has already been filed.
The Register of Deeds Office cannot assist you in filling out forms, but will be happy to assist you with the name search.
- Please fill out assumed name forms completely
- No Notarization required for all assumed name forms
Assumed Name Forms
- Assumed Business Name Certificate
- Instructions for Completing an Assumed Business Name Certificate
- Amendment of Assumed Business Name Certificate
- Instructions for Amending an Assumed Business Name Certificate
- Withdrawal of Assumed Name Certificate
- Instructions for Withdrawal of an Assumed Business Name Certificate
For more information about these forms and which one is appropriate for your business, please contact an attorney, get more information from the Secretary of State or Economic Development Partnership website , or by contacting the Secretary of State directly at (919) 807-2225.
- $26.00 for the first 15 pages and
- $4.00 for each additional page
We accept cash, personal checks, or money orders payable to Register of Deeds.